Monday, October 25, 2010

Tough Knuckles-Is It What I Said



Tough Knuckles, a band I had never have but got rave reviews just a few months ago when their Greek Jazz LP was dropped back then, has just released this incredible off-kilter indie rock guitar tune "Is It What I Said". Previously, after some back digging, Tough Knuckles comes off as a very one-man lo-fi project, some dude with a two track banging away the two guitar riffs he knows over and over again to form sweet Guided By Voices esque pieces. Not anymore. With some added production and maybe a band too boot, "Is It What I Said" comes off as a really nostalgic '90s indie rock tune with a very cool shoegaze layered on top. No idea how the style change happened, but I love it. The band apparently got signed to Captured Tracks, and there's a good chance this with be off that forthcoming LP.

UPDATE: Turns out Tough Knuckles didn't get signed to Captured Tracks after all. Still would be cool to see them on the rooster some day though.

(mp3) Tough Knuckles-Is It What I Said

For some persepctive about what I'm talking about with style shift, here was the video Tough Knuckles made last year for "Downtown Girl" off their Greek Jazz LP.





Links:

Tough Knuckles on Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment